Our mission as a church is to encourage Christ-centered transformation by the Spirit. Because the living God is at work making things new again, making dead people alive again!
This kind of spiritual transformation and growth can’t be forced by us, but as followers of Jesus we can cooperate with the work of God. That cooperation--whether active or passive--usually involves some effort on our part. Planting. Watering. Striving. Surrendering.
“I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.” 1 Cor. 3:6-7
We want every Hillsider to know the ways he or she can grow selflessly. There are so many ways we can cooperate with the work of God in our lives and around us to transform us. In fact, if we have eyes to see and ears to hear and hearts to respond, God can use just about anything to shape us and grow us. Anything.
Here are some of the ways God can grow us as His people and as new creations:
- Being taught the Bible.
- Learning to study the Bible on my own or with others.
- Engaging fully in corporate worship, and being a worshiper all week long.
- Serving in a ministry for the sake of others.
- Prioritizing prayer and other spiritual disciplines.
- Having Christ-centered friendships and/or mentors.
- Helping someone else grow!
- Commitment to community.
- Developing my spiritual gifts.
- Sharing the gospel and my faith with others.
|SOMEBODY'S BEEN |
SKIPPING LEG DAY.
There is lots more to discuss and unpack, and this blog is the place we're going to do that! Keep checking back for more info and ideas.
- Ways to be a prepared and passionate worshiper, for the sake of God and others.
- Are discipleship and outreach really two separate things?
- What's the real purpose of spiritual growth?